Monday 9 August 2010

Day 7 - Stiff Sodding Sunday

This morning wasn't as comfy as the night before.

I woke up with stiffness and pain in my knee knowing that one nights rest would not do it good with suspected tendonitus.

I got on my bike and rode around the campsite to evaluate the damage.

I was done. There was no way I could cycle fully kitted up without causing myself serious damage. So I had to make the right choice and quit the tour.

Being upset I had to discover a way I could get back to england easily.

Tom and Alex asked some fellow Brits where they were heading but it was of no use. Therefore we headed down to the tourist information desk to see what they could organise.

There were buses that travelled to Cherbourg but they wouldn't accept the bike. Therefore the train was the next best option to get to Cherbourg for the ferry.

In order to get to Cherbourg I had to take three trains in a country where I only know little bits of the language.

Luckily I had a Guardian Angel, Marine, who is a young lady who works at the tourist information desk and has a very kind heart. She needed to travel to Caen the next day which was on the way to Cherbourg. After agreeing to meet at 8.45am the next day I left to set up my tent alone at the campsite.

Alex and Tom were great support but now needed to head off to catch the others. We said our goodbyes and off they went.

At the campsite I read most of my book and had a few beers. I tried to get involved in the table tennis but the dutch weren't having any of it!

The Brokeback mountain duo of Tom and Alex made to Loiron before sunset and the others had made is Segre. A good 40 miles ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment