Monday 9 August 2010

Day 8 - Travelling on Trains

It would be a long day of travelling for me.

I woke up nice and early to meet Marine and headed to the train station.

After lugging my bike up the stairs over the track I soon spotted a level crossing I could have used, but never mind.

Marine helped me in buying the correct tickets for the day. And the journey started. We travelled from Villedieu to Argentan. Waited for our next train which was delayed to Caen where Marine helped me get on the right train to Cherbourg. I can not thank her enough for helping me out when I needed it. She even bought me a sandwich!

Whilst on the Cherbourg train a friendly homeless irish man decided to spark up a conversation with me. Informing me about many conspiracies about certain bad people in ireland and gave me newspaper cuttings to match the stories. It was informing but maybe a little intimidating.

After arriving in Cherbourg I found my way to the dock where I waited and prayed that my ferry was on time and hoped my dad found his way to Portsmouth well. He is a hero for picking me up from Portsmouth and I think it puts him in the super dad category.

The rest of the guys have had another good day of progress. All the way to Vihiers. I will try and find out some stories from them.

My summary:

I travelled 330 miles on my bike in 5 and a half days, but it was my knee that let me down. I'm already thinking about another bike tour but who knows when. I will just have to see what the doctor says about my knee and take it from there. Thanks for all your donations. I know I didn't complete what I set out to do but there are still 9 other riders who are still enroute and were all supporting the same charity.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment